[gdal-dev] Get max elevation on "squares"

Luca Bertoncello lucabert at lucabert.de
Mon Dec 27 10:52:32 PST 2021

Hi list!

I'm very new to GDAL, so please excuse me if the question is too simple...

My problem: I'm writing an App to fly VFR and I'd like to display a
vertical profile of the route.
Of course, it must work offline, so I cannot use a service like Google
Maps or similar...

I tryed OpenTopoData with the EUDEM dataset and I can get the elevation
from a single point.
Very nice, but not useful for my App...

Since I don't need a huge precision, but I do need a relative small file
to use in my App, it may suffice if I can create a database with the
maximum elevation in a square 5x5 km, identified by the coordinates of
the center.

And here start the problems, since I don't have any idea how to extract
these data from the TIFF files I have.

On the server (Debian 10) is Python and PERL installed, as well as the
GDAL utilities.

Can someone help me?

Thank you very very much for your help!
Luca Bertoncello