[gdal-dev] Fw: Building GDAL with ECW support

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Feb 4 01:25:02 PST 2021

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 9:28 AM Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net> wrote:
> On 2/4/21 1:55 AM, pteroglossus at pm.me wrote:
> > Installing libproj-dev did the trick, I was able to run the config file, rename/copy the necessary folders in the SDK, then "make"/ "make install", encountered some issues during the process but:
> >
> > k at k-GS60-6QE:~/bin/gdal/gdal-3.1.4$ gdalinfo --version
> > GDAL 3.1.4, released 2020/10/20
> > k at k-GS60-6QE:~/bin/gdal/gdal-3.1.4$ gdalinfo --formats|grep ECW
> >   ECW -raster- (rw+): ERDAS Compressed Wavelets (SDK 5.5)
> >   JP2ECW -raster,vector- (rw+v): ERDAS JPEG2000 (SDK 5.5)
> >
> > This means it worked, doesn't it? :)
>
> YES!!!  You compile GDAL with ecw yourself! congrats!
> Not sure if you can fool GRASS to use your own compiled GDAL (by creating some symbolic links, OR by installing your GDAL in the normal /usr/lib), that depends on which version GRASS is actually build against (I think...)
> My guess is that you have an older distro, which does not have GDAL 3.1 (because you started of compiling GDAL 2.4.x or so) so the symbolic links will not work (I think...).
>
> So others? Is there a way (other then let this user also compile GRASS against his newly compiled GDAL 3.1)?

I'd recommend to just compile also GRASS GIS locally (which is rather
easy) to avoid a dependency hell.

See (unsorted):

- Debian: https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install#GRASS_7_on_Debian_Buster
- Ubuntu: https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install_Ubuntu#Quick_instructions
- Fedora: https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install#GRASS_GIS_7_on_Fedora
- Linux Mint: https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install#Linux_Mint
- Windows:https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install#MS-Windows
- MacOS: https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install#macOS

etc. on that Wiki page.

Most of them are copy-paste instructions.

HTH,
Markus