[gdal-dev] Geometry validation

Илья Нецветаев notequal90 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 23:02:25 PST 2021

Hello.
I have to downgrade my application from gdal 3.1.2 to 2.1.2 built on
libGeos 3.5.1. For some reason.
So I have to work around the absence of some methods introduced only in
later releases.
The first thing i met was MakeValid and IsValid. In my application it is
used for Polygons.
There is two aspects:
1. What does exactly "valid geometry" mean? What does IsValid check?
  As it is written in docs: Returns true if geometry has no points". I'm
not sure, that I understand it correctly.
2. Is there a proper way to replace MakeValid with something in order to
keep my app functional?

Thanks