[gdal-dev] WMTS services error

jratike80 jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Mon Feb 15 04:45:53 PST 2021

Some more information into this issue.

The server at IGN is obviously a GeoServer. GDAL usually does not have any
trouble with GeoServers. Try for example

gdal_translate
"http://demo.geo-solutions.it/geoserver/gwc/service/wmts?REQUEST=GetCapabilities"
-of WMTS geoserver.xml

No errors with that URL. Conclusion: there must be some difference. By
comparing the GetCapabilities responses there seems to be one here:

GeoServer at Geosolutions:

<TileMatrixSet>
      <ows:Identifier>EPSG:4326</ows:Identifier>
      <ows:SupportedCRS>urn:ogc:def:crs:EPSG::4326</ows:SupportedCRS>
      <TileMatrix>
        <ows:Identifier>EPSG:4326:0</ows:Identifier>
        <ScaleDenominator>2.795411320143589E8</ScaleDenominator>
        <TopLeftCorner>90.0 -180.0</TopLeftCorner>

GeoServer at IGN:

<TileMatrixSet>
     <ows:Identifier>EPSG:4326</ows:Identifier>
     <ows:SupportedCRS>EPSG:4326</ows:SupportedCRS>
     #commented out! --  crs="urn:ogc:def:crs:EPSG::4326"  -->
     <TileMatrix>
       <ows:Identifier>EPSG:4326:0</ows:Identifier>
       <ScaleDenominator>2.795411320143589E8</ScaleDenominator>
       <TopLeftCorner>90.0 -180.0</TopLeftCorner>

IGN has changed the SupportedCRS from urn:ogc:def:crs:EPSG::4326 (that works
with GDAL) into EPSG:4326 (that does not work with GDAL).

Travis did find this note from the OGC standard:

"NOTE4: Some implementers prefer to define this TileMatrixSet using the CRS
http://www.opengis.net/def/crs/EPSG/0/4326. The definition is the same
except that CRS coordinates are expressed in latitude, longitude order,
affecting the TopLeftCorner and the BBox encoding only"

Ok, GeoServer seems to one of those implementers. Now there is a question
what was the alternative. In the standard the CRS used in "World CRS84 Quad
TileMatrixSet definition" is

CRS: http://www.opengis.net/def/crs/OGC/1.3/CRS84, CRS84

Final conclusion:
OGC has defined http://www.opengis.net/def/crs/OGC/1.3/CRS84 for the
longitude-latitude order and http://www.opengis.net/def/crs/EPSG/0/4326 for
the latitude-longitude order. For some reason IGN wants to use a third
alternative EPSG:4326, also for latitude-longitude order. This is something
that is undefined in the standard. I would say that the bug is on the IGN
side and I would like to know what problem they have had with
http://www.opengis.net/def/crs/EPSG/0/4326.

What GDAL might do better is to have an option to flip the axes with the
WMTS XML definition file.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

jratike80 wrote