[gdal-dev] Call for discussion on RFC 79: Listing of Service Providers on GDAL website

jratike80 jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Tue Feb 23 23:20:48 PST 2021

GDAL - Dev mailing list wrote
> Hi Even,
>
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 2:56 AM Even Rouault <

> even.rouault@

> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Please find https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/3473 which proposes to
>> list
>> service providers offering GDAL related services on the GDAL website. As
>> mentioned in the RFC, this is a straightfoward port of the equivalent
>> adopted
>> RFC of the Mapserver project.
>>
>> Even
>>

> I'd like to hear more about the Mapserver project service provider list.
> Does it work? Is it kept up to date or does it get stale? Does the
> community find that it effectively steers $$ to consultants that fix bugs
> and maintain the project? With the difference in image/logo sizes, is the
> intent to make this look a bit like a conference sponsor page?
>
> --
> Sean Gillies

Hi,

Maybe the number of new potential customers searching for consultants to do
Mapserver development is not so huge at the moment and the old ones know
their contacts already. However, I feel that the service provider list does
work for the Geoserver project. Probably mostly not so that users start by
browsing the list and pick a contractor. It is rather so that core Geoserver
developers know that often there is a minimal chance that some bug will be
fixed or some feature request will be implemented just because there is an
open ticket about that. Then they can inform the user about the reasonable
alternatives like in this example that I picked from a mailing list:

"That does not mean we cannot work around a deficiency in a rogue server,
but be prepared to issue your PR or fund development though commercial
services: http://geoserver.org/support/"

For my mind that is also fair for the users and gives more hope than the
comment on the OSSIM site, that is otherwise my absolute favorite:

"We encourage users to use the software as-is or become an active
contributor."

-Jukka Rahkonen-