[gdal-dev] New JPEG 2000 Driver

jratike80 jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Sat Feb 27 13:14:01 PST 2021

Greg Troxel-2 wrote
> Even Rouault <

> even.rouault@

> > writes:
>
>> Can you transparently tell us why Grok is AGPL licensed ? Do you sell
>> commercial licenses for people who couldn't comply with the AGPL license
>> ?
>
> Certainly a good question.  I have no idea in this case and my comments
> should not be taken to imply anything about this particular library

Hi,

I had a feeling that I have seen this discussion before. And indeed, I would
say it started in December, 2015 from this mail
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2015-December/043296.html. There
are a few more threads to read in January, 2016, and the reason for AGPL was
announced in February 3rd 2016 in mail "Fork Yeah!"
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2016-February/043649.html.

Aaron Boxer wrote:
"The code is licensed under the AGPL, to ensure that all code modifications
get contributed back to the community."

Later Aaron gave clear answers to some follow-up questions:

"> The use of AGPL means that your OpenJPEG fork will not be used for
> commercial projects and any enhancements you make will not make there way
> into OpenJPEG.

Correct.

> You may have a good reason for choosing this licence and as such it is
> your choice.

Yes.

> Either way good luck.

Thank you."

I do not know how much has changed during these five years. Grok is probably
better now but I think that JPEG2000 gives biggest benefits for medical
imaging and motion pictures which are both in a way volumetric, but codecs
compressing in 3D need to be even more sophisticated. With traditional GIS
imagery OpenJPEG is rather good nowadays if data producers play the same
game and do not create their images in the hardest possible way. But I
welcome the new driver if it will have a maintainer and if it does not mean
more pain for the main developers and users who do not need Grok.

-Jukka Rahkonen-