[gdal-dev] New JPEG 2000 Driver

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 15:02:49 PST 2021

Hi Aaron!

I'm honestly a little confused reading your reply, as it seems to
contradict itself:

> As for the scarcity of open source expertise along with JPEG 2000, I also agree. But the bar to entry
> isn't as high as it used to be - we have high-quality open source implementations, so anyone
> who wants to spend a few months, (or years :) ) reading and re-reading the big blue JPEG 2000 book
> and looking through the code is welcome to do so -it's not that tough. They should then be able to contribute.
> if they have the time and interest.

vs

> to be honest, I've done 98% of the work on the library over the past 5 years.
> This is partly just the nature of open source,
> especially for maddeningly complex standards like JPEG 2000. Many have opinions but few are prepared to roll up their
> sleeves and do the work.

Doesn't this clearly demonstrate that the available pool of developers
with the expertise required to work on JPEG2000 is extremely small,
and show the pressing need for a coordinated approach to JPEG 2000
development rather than further fragmentation?

Nyall