[gdal-dev] /vsimem/ Driver CPLCreateUserFaultMapping Error in Docker

Alex Riggs alex at outsideanalytics.com
Sat Jan 9 13:54:58 PST 2021

Hello,

I am using the /vsimem/ driver to create a virtual netCDF from a bytes
string in Python3. The process works fine when run from my host system but
when I package it up in a Docker container  I'm getting errors when trying
to open the in memory file. The error stems from a call to
`gdal.Open('/vsimem/name_of_file.nc')`, and the error text is:
"CPLCreateUserFaultMapping(): syscall(__NR_userfaultfd) failed".

I'm aware a simple work around would be to write the file to an on-disk
file and just delete it when I don't need it anymore but am curious as to
why the /vsimem/ driver is failing in a Docker container.

Any help or insight would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Alexander Riggs