[gdal-dev] Considering drivers removal ?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Mon Jan 11 06:51:39 PST 2021

Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> writes:

> - Where are the costs in keeping these drivers ?
>    * monetary: there is one, but I'm unable to quantify it
>    * environmental: burn CPU cycles each time someone does a GDAL build
>    * psychological: prevent developers from doing modernization in GDAL
> internals. When you know you have to change 250 drivers, you think twice
> before doing the change, and generally you conclude it is not worth it, or
> fallback to hacks to limit the amount of code change. We should probably trim
> down the list to 20 raster and vector drivers to have a real effect regarding
> that. For a next time :-)

It would probably help anchor the discussion for someone to send a list
of drivers with remove/keep as a straw proposal, not taken super
seriously, just to see roughly where we are.   Personally, I only use
maintstream things so am not too likely to be affected, but I don't have
a good grasp of the scope of the proposal.