[gdal-dev] Driver maintenance - long-term solution ?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 14:20:34 PST 2021

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 at 07:26, Javier Jimenez Shaw <j1 at jimenezshaw.com> wrote:

> - How to finance the development of GDAL? Well, do not forget that Even is also working a lot in PROJ, a library by the way used by GDAL... (should GDAL contribute to PROJ, as QGIS should contribute to GDAL and PROJ?)

For reference -- QGIS indirectly sponsors improvements and fixes in
GDAL and PROJ by employing Even to work on upstream issues which
impact QGIS during the lead up to any QGIS major release. The project
has recently started doing a similar thing with GEOS through
sponsorship of Sandro Santilli.

Fingers crossed we see more upstream (including non-open-source)
applications follow the same model...

Nyall