[gdal-dev] Driver maintenance - long-term solution ?

Ian Mayo ian at planetmayo.com
Thu Jan 14 01:46:12 PST 2021

One quick thought on finances that I haven't seen presented in this thread.

We've identified that organisations are willing to fund new features -
frequently since the new feature aligns with some business opportunity
for them.

What if the hourly/daily rates for new features included a
"Maintenance tax" - maybe 20%?  This would go into the pot to fund
maintenance.

The benefits of this are:
- new donors (& donation paths) do not have to be found
- new features incur a cost more indicative of through-life costs

Just a thought.
Ian