[gdal-dev] Considering drivers removal ?

David Brochart david.brochart at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 06:26:20 PST 2021

I am currently trying to add a Zarr driver to GDAL (see
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/3411), but from what I can see the trend
is to remove drivers, so I'm now wondering it I should pursue this effort.
I'm relatively new to GDAL, but from my point of view supporting a lot of
formats is part of GDAL's success, so maybe the real focus should be on
implementing a plugin mechanism that would allow driver development
independently from core GDAL. Again, I might not have enough background to
give valuable feedback.

Regards,

David.