[gdal-dev] HANA driver proposal

Rylov, Maxim maxim.rylov at sap.com
Mon Jul 19 04:38:33 PDT 2021

Dear GDAL/OGR Project Steering Committee,

We, the SAP HANA Spatial Team, would like to add HANA support to the GDAL library.
SAP HANA<https://www.sap.com/products/hana.html> is an in-memory database with an OGC-compliant<http://www.opengeospatial.org/resource/products/details/?pid=1303> spatial engine<https://help.sap.com/viewer/cbbbfc20871e4559abfd45a78ad58c02/2.0.04/en-US/e1c934157bd14021a3b43b5822b2cbe9.html>.
A free community edition of SAP HANA is available here<https://www.sap.com/cmp/td/sap-hana-express-edition.html>.

GDAL/OGR supports a great variety of data formats and databases like PostgreSQL, MySQL,
MS SQL, Oracle, IBM DB2 etc. Therefore, the proposed HANA driver would complement
the list of currently supported databases.

The implementation of the new vector driver for HANA including tests and its integration
into the CI would be done by our team of course with some guidance from the GDAL community.
The driver's footprint in the code should be minimal, as the whole implementation will reside in
the subfolder https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/tree/master/gdal/ogr/ogrsf_frmts/hana.

Our team already gathered some experience of working with open source communities.
A few months ago, we introduced support of HANA in QGIS<https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/34988> and now we continue maintaining our
contribution<https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed+HANA>. We keep tracking of new issues/bugs, CI runs, API changes, documentation improvements
related to HANA and make sure that they are fixed/implemented as soon as possible. We hope that this
information will minimize your concerns about the future maintenance of the driver.
Kind regards,
Maxim Rylov on behalf of the HANA Spatial Team