[gdal-dev] GDALCreateApproxTransformer and error threshold ramifications question

Martin Chapman mchapman at hyperacktive.com
Mon Jun 7 12:03:03 PDT 2021

Even,

Thanks for the explanation in the second paragraph of your response.  My
colleagues are probably gonna give me grief because the warp operation could
have been much faster all these years, but hey, better late than never. J
It sounds like using the approximate warp will work great then.  I’m
thrilled!

I’m not sure what is slowing down the warp in the new version, but I should
say that lightly because we only ran some simple tests and I may not be
exactly correct about that.  It wasn’t really gdalwarp that was slower, it
was my code that uses the warp api, so it could just be something I am
doing.  What is clear though, is that using the approx transformer with an
error threshold greater than 0.0 is significantly faster, which is probably
no surprise to you.  We were comparing gdalwarp v1.9 to gdalwarp v3.x
(latest) specifying –et as 0.0.  We were warping a geotiff in some UTM zone
to WGS84.  When we removed the –et parameter the run times were way faster.
I will look into it further and let you know if I find anything.

Thanks again!

Best regards,

Martin Chapman