[gdal-dev] Renaming Sponsorships tiers to align with NumFOCUS ones

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Jun 8 13:08:48 PDT 2021

PSC,

We've had a request from NumFOCUS to align the titles of the GDAL
sponsorship tiers with the ones of NumFOCUS, to limit the risk of
confusion, which was one topic discussed during last meeting.

For reference, the ones of NumFOCUS are at
https://numfocus.org/sponsors/become-a-sponsor, so to get consistent,
our new levels would renamed as:

- Gold (previously Platinum): 50k

- Silver (previously Gold): 25k

- Bronze (previously Silver): 10k

This will help especially for actors that already have a relationship
with NumFOCUS and can be confused by the current non-alignment.

NumFOCUS confirmed that companies that offer a sponsorship designated to
GDAL will receive both GDAL's benefits and NumFOCUS ones under that tier
(if they don't already benefit from NumFOCUS sponsorship at a higher
level because already sponsoring other NumFOCUS projects)

I'm +1 for that change. I don't anticipate sponsors to mind about that
change. The different tiers and relative positioning with other actors
is probably what matters to them, more than the absolute title of the
tier. Anyway, we'll communicate that change to the current sponsors, and
adapt our own documentation.

Even