[gdal-dev] Does gdal support Military Grid Reference System (MGRS) grid?

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Mon Jun 14 02:44:18 PDT 2021

On Monday, 14 June 2021 6:49:29 PM AEST Bang Pham Huu wrote:
> I've questions regarding Military Grid Reference System (*MGRS*)grid data.
>
> - Does gdal support this kind of grid?
Yes, but perhaps not as you might expect. Its supported in NITF.

> - If yes, does it exist from EPSG coordinate reference system like UTM CRS?
EPSG rejected the inclusion of MGRS on 2010-09-24. The decision was:
"Request rejected. Grid systems are out of scope of the EPSG dataset. Although
based on CRSs they have additional attrubutes describing the grid cell
distribution which are not catered for in the ISO 19111:2007 or EPSG data
models."
(typo in the original)

What are you actually hoping to do with MGRS? If you can explain the use case,
maybe a more meaningful answer could be possible.

Brad