[gdal-dev] LJPEG Support for GDAL

Christoph Gohlke cgohlke at uci.edu
Wed Jun 16 11:00:02 PDT 2021

Lossless JPEG is defined in the Annex H of the JPEG specification.
<https://www.w3.org/Graphics/JPEG/itu-t81.pdf>

See also
<http://fileformats.archiveteam.org/wiki/Lossless_JPEG_(original)> and
<https://www.loc.gov/preservation/digital/formats/fdd/fdd000334.shtml>.

LJPEG compressed images can be found in DICOM, DNG, and NITF.

Libjpeg(-turbo) can't decode it and errors with "Unsupported JPEG
process: SOF type 0xc3"

Libjpeg <https://github.com/thorfdbg/libjpeg> can read (write?) the
format but is GPL licensed.

Christoph