[gdal-dev] gdaldem aspect is grid-oriented

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 21:29:23 PDT 2021

Hello, we're using `gdaldem aspect` on polar grid products and we need to
convert the grid-oriented directions to compass oriented ones,
location-specific directions, where "compass north" is dependent on
longitude.

It's easy but inefficient for us to do this after running gdal dem for our
polar grids at latitude -90, and a more general solution would require a
general approach to "where north is" for any location in a projection.

I'll be able to modify GDAL to do this as an option to gdaldem for a simple
polar grid (e.g. EPSG:3031), and that will make our use of it much more
efficient. Is there any interest in a more general approach?

Best, Mike

--
Michael Sumner
Software and Database Engineer