[gdal-dev] gdal_translate for nc --> tiff. Coords seem to change?

Hill, David Foster David.Hill at oregonstate.edu
Mon Jun 28 11:59:24 PDT 2021

Hello.

I am new to GDAL, and have spent the past two weeks exploring its use for (largely) nc —> tiff conversions. I am puzzled by a few things, however. I have a .nc file and when I use

>> ncdump -c file.nc

the coords are shown to me. The min x is 487200 and the min y is 4690100. The grid size is 100 m. If I then do:

>> gdal_translate -of GTiff file.nc file.tif

and then

>> gdalinfo file.tif,

it shows the ‘lower left’ corner coordinates as

486790, 4690050

For the y coord, I can see how this makes sense…assume that ncdump is giving coords of the grid cell centers, not the ‘corner’ of the grid cells. Thus, the 50 m difference. For the x coord, the values are like 410 m different, so I am puzzled about that.

I am sure this is an overly simple question, but I would welcome any tips / guidance on what I am doing wrong. Thank you.
David F. Hill
Professor
Civil and Construction Engineering
Oregon State University