[gdal-dev] Motion (V2): remove and deprecate a few drivers

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Mar 4 08:32:53 PST 2021

Hi,

Updating my yesterday motion with the feedback received (only second
bullet updated with a more restricted set of drivers)

Motion:

- remove the vector drivers BNA, AeronavFAA, HTF, OpenAir, SEGUKOOA,
SEGY, SUA, XPlane and raster drivers BPG, E00GRID, EPSILON,
IGNFHeightASCIIGrid, NTv1. They have all been authored by myself and I'm
not aware of them having been much used or being still in use.
Implemented in https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/3373. They (driver
code, doc and tests) have been moved to the
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal-extra-drivers

- deprecate the raster drivers DODS, JPEG2000 (superseded per
JP2OpenJPEG), JPEGLS, MG4LIDAR, FUJIBAS, IDA, INGR, ZMAP and vector
driver ARCGEN, ArcObjects, CLOUDANT, COUCHDB, DB2, DODS, FME, GEOMEDIA,
GTM, INGRES, MONGODB (superserded per MongoDBV3), REC, WALK . They will
now be disabled at runtime by default, with an explicit error message
when they are triggered, unless the
GDAL_ENABLE_DEPRECATED_DRIVER_{drivername}
configuration option is set to YES, and will be removed in GDAL 3.5.
Implemented in https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/3505

Starting with my +1

Even