[gdal-dev] What is lost when converting 12 bit imagery to 8 bit?

Matt.Wilkie at yukon.ca Matt.Wilkie at yukon.ca
Wed Mar 17 14:22:33 PDT 2021

SPOT 6/7 satellite imagery is captured with a dynamic range of 12 bits per pixel per channel (ref<https://eos.com/spot-6-and-7/>). However almost all of the SPOT imagery I have seen in use has been 8 bits per channel, and split into RGB natural colour (Bands-321) and Near-infrared-RG false colour (Bands-432). What information is lost in this 12 to 8 bits conversion?

I'm wondering if we should be altering our request for purchase specifications to deliver the full bit depth.

Although I'm referencing SPOT imagery specifically the question is general and really applies to any satellite or sensor system.
Cross-post: https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/390315/what-is-lost-when-converting-12-bit-imagery-to-8-bit

Matt Wilkie
Geomatics Analyst
Environment | Technology, Innovation and Mapping
T 867-667-8133 | Yukon.ca<http://yukon.ca/>
Hours: 08:30-16:30, Tue-Wed: Office, Thu-Fri: Remote.