[gdal-dev] Installing the latest GDAL version on ubuntu 20.04

Adzorv1 adzor.verhaagen at cgi.com
Thu Mar 18 05:48:55 PDT 2021

For some time i have been trying to install the latest version of GDAL or
anything above 3.1.0 on my ubuntu 20.04 system, unfortunately the version
that keeps being installed is 3.0.4 which is outdated for the uses we need.
I have followed several online guides but keep hitting the same issue.

if i try to run:
pip3 install GDAL==3.1.0

I get a huge red wall of errors with the final line stating that the wheel
failed to build.

any suggestions would be really appreciated