[gdal-dev] Motion: RFC 78: gdal-utils package

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Wed Mar 24 15:18:41 PDT 2021

> On Mar 24, 2021, at 2:02 PM, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Idan,
>

>> Motion:
>>
>> Adopt RFC 78: gdal-utils package (formatted version).
> +1.
>
> Sorry for the late reply.
>
> I'd like some efforts on the documentation front regarding this new addition. The new doc page hhttps://gdal.org/api/python.html (initiated from the swig/python/README.rst. not sure how we could avoid duplication of content in the tree. perhaps some inclusion of README.rst from the docs) would need to be enriched with details from the RFC, to explain how the 2 pypi packages relate, and the potential issues in the workflows you indicate.
>
> The HOWTO-RELEASE procedure will likely need to be adjusted.
>
> I'll appreciate too that you actively support users in github issues / email traffic on this topic once this is deployed in a release.

I'm also + 1 on this RFC. Like Alan, I too would like to eventually go further and kick the bindings out of the main library entirely to release on their own schedule, but that cannot happen given our current autotest dependency.

This is a good start, but clear documentation will be needed so things don't fall out of sync and to prevent people from being confused.

Howard