[gdal-dev] Computing a geo-transform with gdalwarp from a set of GCPs also rectifies the input images

Bullinger, Sebastian sebastian.bullinger at iosb.fraunhofer.de
Thu Mar 25 10:31:08 PDT 2021

Hi,

@Andrew

> Have you noticed whether the output image has no-data pixels at the
> edges, or crops the original ? I would expect it to do a little of each.

The output image has no-data values - it does not crop the image - which is inline with the description by Even (see below).

@Even

> When creating an output file from scatch (either it doesn't exist, or -overwrite is used),
> gdalwarp will always produce a "north-up" image in the target CRS.
> How gdalwarp rectifies depends on content of the source dataset (GCP, geolocation arrays, RPCs),
> user switches and default behaviours. For a source dataset with GCPs, if you have < 6 GCPs,
> a linear fit will be used by default. For >= 6 GCPs, a 2nd order polynomial fit will be used.

Thank you for clarifying this - this explains the results I'm observing.

Is it possible access the transformation used to rectify the images during the gdalwarp call?
At the moment, I feel that gdalwarp acts (w.r.t. the rectification) like a black box.
Maybe it would be reasonable to (optionally) provide some information about the rectification process?

If it is not possible to get this information, could you point out the code snippet that performs the rectification step?
Since GDAL's code base is quite large, it is not easy to find the appropriate location.

Thank you for your help - and sorry for the noise.

Best regards,
Sebastian

--
Dr. Sebastian Bullinger