[gdal-dev] Motion: RFC 78: gdal-utils package

mhw-at-yg matt.wilkie at yukon.ca
Thu Mar 25 15:11:36 PDT 2021

Having been away from gdal-dev for some years, happily existing as an end of
the line tool only user, and only recently re-engaging with the development
community I have nothing to say on the strength and validity the RFC.

I would like to comment though that it doesn't have a high altitude overview
and say what gdal-utils is and where to look at it now. For instance is it
all the files in ./gdal/swig/python/scripts/? or gdal/swig/python/osgeo/? or
even gdal/swig/python? or somewhere else I haven't looked yet. It needn't be
a lot words (there's so much there already it's hard for a newcomer like me
to make out the structural bones). One sentence and a link would probably do
it.

I am excited about the prospect of a gdal-utils sub project, whether it
remains within the core repository or is carved off into it's own. It would
be a named place where my skills have a chance of contributing little
somethings, and I could easily ignore the much larger set of things I don't
understand in GDAL proper. ;-)

cheers,

-----
-Matt