[gdal-dev] Long Term Prognosis for JPEG 2000

Aaron Boxer boxerab at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 07:21:54 PDT 2021

Hello There,
I'm curious what folks here think about the future of JPEG 2000 in
geospatial?
I was having a little discussion about this over here:
https://github.com/USGS-Astrogeology/ISIS3/issues/4237

To me, the features that made JP2 unique amongst the many codecs were:

0. royalty free
1. support for lossy and lossless compression in a single framework
2. support for TB images
3. fast on-the-fly random access into large images
4. decoder can determine what sort of progression it uses at decode time:
resolution,
quality, component or spatial.
5. precise rate control
6. error and re-compression resilience
7. JPIP protocol for progressive transmission over low-bandwidth networks

The cons to JP2 were:

0. computational complexity i.e. dog slow
1. (until recently) buggy and slow OSS implementations
2. patent questions (largely resolved)
3. poor support from HW and browsers

Do you think there is currently a viable alternative which covers enough of
the advantages while lacking enough of the negatives that plague JP2 ?  I'm
curious because I have been devoting quite a bit of time to addressing some
of those negatives, as discussed at length previously,
The standard remains essential in digital cinema, medical imaging and in
the archive community. But, those last two fields may also be ripe for
change.

In digital cinema, precise rate control is a must, so I think it is here to
stay in the area.

Thanks,
Aaron