[gdal-dev] Long Term Prognosis for JPEG 2000

Aaron Boxer boxerab at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 10:59:19 PDT 2021

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 12:12 PM Marty J. Sullivan <
marty.sullivan at cornell.edu> wrote:

> Just my two cents, I have very little personal use of JP2 although I’ve
> experimented with it in the past.
>

> I personally have switched to using WEBP and have not run into any issues
> (other than wide support). I think the one place JP2 beats WEBP is that JP2
> supports virtually unlimited image dimensions whereas WEBP is limited to
> 16383 x 16383. Then again, with GeoTIFF tiling, this is pretty much a
> non-issue.

16383 x 16383 sounds a bit limited. Even if you use tiling, if your
compression is lossy then you will see artifacts at the tile boundaries.

> AVIF is also up and coming and superior to WEBP, so I’d imagine we’ll see
> support for that someday in GDAL as well. It supports larger image
> dimensions than WEBP (65536x65536)
>

> With that in mind, I personally would never choose to use JP2 at this
> point, but maybe there are other use-cases I’m unaware of.

The problem with larger dimensions  in WebP is the impossibility of
decoding a sub window in the image. You are forced to do
a complete decode each time you view it.