[gdal-dev] New JP2Grok Driver for JPEG 2000

Aaron Boxer boxerab at gmail.com
Mon May 3 07:59:11 PDT 2021

Hi Folks,

I would like to draw people's attention once again to the pending JPEG 2000
driver PR
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/3449
which was opened 3 months ago.  Since I last posted, the driver now has an
autotest script courtesy of Frank Warmerdam, and all tests are passing.

In a nutshell, performance is 2-5 times faster than the only other viable
open source driver, from OpenJPEG, in several common geospatial work flows.
And performance rises by around 2X if the new HTJ2K entropy coder is used.
The AGPL license will not work for everyone, which is why the driver is
disabled by default.

We've already discussed this at length in the previous thread and in the
PR, but if you would like to see this new driver merged, please head over
to the PR and give it a thumbs up. Or, if you don't want this driver
merged, please share your feedback on the PR.

Kind Regards,
Aaron