[gdal-dev] vsicurl and an issue with http 302 redirect in the middle of the file

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed May 5 13:19:16 PDT 2021

Jukka,

Running with CPL_CURL_VERBOSE=YES shows the following

 > GET
/data/nccf/com/hrrr/prod/hrrr.20210505/conus/hrrr.t15z.wrfsfcf01.grib2
HTTP/1.1
Host: ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov
Accept: */*
Range: bytes=84819968-84836351

* Mark bundle as not supporting multiuse
< HTTP/1.1  302 Your allowed limit has been reached. Please go to
https://www.weather.gov/abusive-user-block  for more info
* no chunk, no close, no size. Assume close to signal end
<

So it seems that after a number of quickly consecutive GET requests to
the server as here, the server no longer want to see us. The 302 HTTP
error it sends however is not appropriate. 429 "Too many requests" would
be more appropriate

GRIB files with lots of "messages" / bands like that one aren't really
cloud friendly, as you have to skip in many parts of the file to get an
inventory of it.

That said, I see that in that instance, the .grib files are accompanied
by a sidecar file, like
https://ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov/data/nccf/com/hrrr/prod/hrrr.20210505/conus/hrrr.t15z.wrfsfcf01.grib2.idx,
which I believe is produced by the wgrib utility. We could conceptually
try to make use of it, however it doesn't contain all metadata that are
typically retrieved by the driver, so for gdalinfo itself that wouldn't
be sufficient, but for just a Open() call that might be enough.

I've noted that https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues/3799

Even