[gdal-dev] Motion: adopt RFC 81: support for coordinate epochs in geospatial formats

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Thu May 13 10:54:21 PDT 2021

Howard Butler <howard at hobu.co> writes:

> It extends existing formats in GDAL's own way
>
> Are there many other cases where GDAL augments and extends behavior of
> formats by bolting on metadata bits? I can think of some GeoTIFF tags
> where GDAL has done this in the past. Some of them have been adopted
> industry-wide, but most have not. We definitely haven't done that to a
> long list of formats like this RFC proposes to do.

(I don't count formally.)

I think I agree with Even's position here.  And, I see this as not being
"GDAL's own way", but "a proposed way for the open geospatial community".

But, overall this makes me wonder: Are there any formats for expressing
epoch in the open source/open format world, and also in the proprietary
world?.  I'm not aware of any (which means epsilon more than zero) and a
quick search did not turn up anything.

Obviously the US NGS keeps track of such things in their bluebook and
NGS Integrated Datbase formats as they transform positions among epochs
when doing adjustments, but that's a rather specialized and not so
relevant to GIS format.