[gdal-dev] Motion: adopt RFC 81: support for coordinate epochs in geospatial formats

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Tue May 25 06:30:23 PDT 2021

> On May 24, 2021, at 5:39 PM, Sean Gillies <sean at mapbox.com> wrote:
>
> Howard, are you suggesting that there should be a configuration option to opt in to this new feature?

Yes, I think it should be explicitly opt-in, not silently opt-out for the time being.

> On May 24, 2021, at 6:15 PM, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> wrote:
>
> The mere introduction of this new capability isn't going to change any behavior. It is only going to change behavior if people do add a coordinate epoch in their datasets, and in that case, one can expect them to want more accurate coordinate transformations. That said adding a config option in the OGRProjCT class to ignore the coordinate epoch is trivial...

I'm glad you are getting traction with the various format groups on the topic, but that process is going to take a very long time to matriculate, and in many cases official blessing won't ever be pronounced. Let's make the behavior for applying the transformations *and* writing the metadata an explicit opt-in.

Howard