[gdal-dev] Motion: adopt RFC 81: support for coordinate epochs in geospatial formats

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Thu May 27 15:39:31 PDT 2021

On Thu, 27 May 2021 at 23:40, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> - merging the underlying API without any format support is I believe of
> little interest.

Well.. it would give users the command line tools to do static <->
dynamic transformation of data with the epoch specified in the command
line arguments. That's a quite compelling feature on its own, as it
could be used to transform data if the user has knowledge of the epoch
from other sources (e.g. in some pdf doc provided with the data, or if
they collected it themselves and know the correct epoch). I'm unaware
of any other tool (commercial or open source) which currently allows
this type of transformation.

Nyall