[gdal-dev] current geolocation array implementation status

Frederico Liporace liporace at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 15:22:23 PDT 2021

Hello,

I'm debugging an artifact that I encountered while using geolocation arrays:
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues/4707

While searching I found this ticket mentioning that the backward map
implementation is broken and a new implementation is being considered:
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/6959

I could help with this implementation. Is there more context available
on why it is being reconsidered? It seems to me that the general case
for the backward implementation is very hard - for instance, what kind
of discontinuities (gaps, overlaps) would be allowed in the
geolocation array? Would it be expected to be robust enough to correct
the Landsat 7 ETM+ SLC-off for instance? My guess is not.

PS. most of this information is on the github issue, I'm not sure if
this list is a better forum to discuss it.

rgds.,
Frederico Liporace