[gdal-dev] ogr2ogr, perform queries to obtain values from the database

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Thu Nov 18 07:19:22 PST 2021

Hi,

I would suggest to consider other options first.

  *   Use OGR foreign data wrapper https://github.com/pramsey/pgsql-ogr-fdw and make the shapefile to appear as a PostGIS table. The you can make the JOIN in your PostGIS.
  *   Add both the shapefile and the classification table from PostgreSQL into GeoPackage or SpatiaLite database as separate tables and update the coded values into definition string with SQL locally.

If you really want to join shapefile and PostgreSQL tables directly with GDAL and ogr2ogr I believe the only way is to write a vector VRT file https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/vrt.html#vector-vrt  that makes those two to appear as two layers in one datasource. The result is actually logically rather similar than by using foreign data wrappers on the PostgreSQL side.

If I would need to do the task just once I would take the GeoPackage road but I have done that before and my view is therefore certainly biased.

-Jukka Rahkonen-