[gdal-dev] Should we make also GTiff to use TILED=YES as default?

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Mon Nov 29 23:04:05 PST 2021

Hi,

There are loads of questions in the stack.exchange site where users have problems with performance when they do something with reading and writing very large image files. Big files have obviously become much more common now due to clouds. Users try to solve the problem by increasing GDAL_CACHEMAX and using multithreading etc. but they use the default GeoTIFF settings and keep on writing huge striped TIFFs. I wonder if we should make tiling the default also for the GTiff driver like it is in the COG driver.

-Jukka Rahkonen-