[gdal-dev] Fwd: Transformation of image data between pixel/line and projected coordinates - using geolocation arrays, in both directions, without disk access

Daniel Scheffler daniel.scheffler at gfz-potsdam.de
Tue Nov 30 03:52:17 PST 2021

Thanks a lot for taking the time, Even, I got the transformation from
cartesian to projected coordinates to work in memory with the GTiff
driver. With MEM, NUMPY or VRT it does not work because these formats
are either not readable from /vsimem/ or don´t have a regular file path
which is needed to set the X_DATASET and Y_DATASET keys in the
GEOLOCATION metadata.

Regarding the inversion of this transformation, i.e., from projected
coordinates to pixel/line:
> The logic of GDALCreateGenImgProjTransformer2() around
> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/master/alg/gdaltransformer.cpp#L1825
> which is for the source dataset should be ported a few lines after for
> the target dataset.  Probably with a new transformer option to be able
> to point to an auxiliary dataset, such as a VRT one of your example,
> to extract the geolocation metadata items from it, that would be
> different from the target dataset itself, because, except perhaps for
> the netCDF case, most GDAL datasets that expose a GEOLOCATION metadata
> domain must be read-only.

I don´t completely get what you mean here. To me, this sounds like there
might be a way to do the inverted transformation using the C-API of
GDAL. However, I am a Python developer and my C skills are a bit poor.
Is there any way to use the Python bindings here?

Kind regards,
Daniel

e-mail:daniel.scheffler at gfz-potsdam.de