[gdal-dev] RFC 84: Migrating build systems to CMake

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Oct 4 06:04:25 PDT 2021

Paul,

that's a legitimate question indeed. There have indeed been discussions
among devs if bindings would not better leave outside of the GDAL
repository and have their own independent lives. That would conceivably
be doable for the Java or CSharp bindings. More tricky for the Python
bindings since we need them for the regression test suite.

Adopting a new build system is indeed the opportunity to raise several
questions about the existing structure (folder organization, etc), but
I'm afraid that if we try to change too many things at a times, this
increases the risk of failure (or at least the time to achieve the
result). My own position would be, at least in the scope of this RFC, to
keep the bindings in the repo (excluding the Perl ones that will be
removed in GDAL 3.5, in favor of the out-of-tree Perl FFI bindings) and
build them through GDAL's main CMake.  CMake4GDAL has already support
for that:
https://github.com/miurahr/cmake4gdal/tree/master/cmakelists/gdal/swig

Even