[gdal-dev] RFC 84: Migrating build systems to CMake

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 00:29:32 PDT 2021

> And really, I should make those smaller.  I know that some of the required formats are required mostly for autotest.  I'd be be interested in working on getting the minimum footprint down once things are switched to CMake.

The autotools build already supports minimal builds, with the list of
mandatory formats being:

gdalinfo --formats
Supported Formats:
  VRT -raster,multidimensional raster- (rw+v): Virtual Raster
  DERIVED -raster- (ro): Derived datasets using VRT pixel functions
  GTiff -raster- (rw+vs): GeoTIFF
  COG -raster- (wv): Cloud optimized GeoTIFF generator
  HFA -raster- (rw+v): Erdas Imagine Images (.img)
  JPEG -raster- (rwv): JPEG JFIF
  MEM -raster,multidimensional raster- (rw+): In Memory Raster
(JPEG could also technically be removed but I've kept it here for jpeg-in-tiff)

ogrinfo --formats
Supported Formats:
  MapInfo File -vector- (rw+v): MapInfo File
  OGR_VRT -vector- (rov): VRT - Virtual Datasource
  Memory -vector- (rw+): Memory
  KML -vector- (rw+v): Keyhole Markup Language (KML)
  GeoJSON -vector- (rw+v): GeoJSON
  GeoJSONSeq -vector- (rw+v): GeoJSON Sequence
  ESRIJSON -vector- (rov): ESRIJSON
  TopoJSON -vector- (rov): TopoJSON