[gdal-dev] Enabling default compression for COG ?

Daniel Evans daniel.fred.evans at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 10:38:52 PDT 2021

Another +1 here. As far as I understand, the only real point of the COG
driver is to be a quick way to get some sensible defaults for GeoTIFF
format, and compression is definitely one such sensible default.

Also, the COG spec's example GDAL command includes `-co COMPRESS=LZW`,
which might be another reason why some are surprised that the dedicated COG
driver doesn't do the same.
https://github.com/cogeotiff/cog-spec/blob/master/spec.md

Daniel