[gdal-dev] Hints that a raster band represents a DEM?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 18:10:39 PDT 2022

Hi list,

I'm looking for any tips on potential approaches I could use to
automagically guess that a particular band from a data source
represents an elevation surface.

I haven't been able to find any common metadata components in the
files I've investigated which could help indicate this, but maybe I'm
missing something. Right now the best approach I can think of would be
to test if the layer's CRS has a vertical component (but unfortunately
even among DEM layers I think this will be rare!).

Any suggestions?
Nyall