[gdal-dev] use gdal_viewshed

Bradner, Kevin M. (ARC-TI) kevin.bradner at nasa.gov
Mon Aug 29 16:45:29 PDT 2022

Hello,

I'm interested in using gdal_viewshed<https://gdal.org/programs/gdal_viewshed.html#gdal-viewshed> to calculate a viewshed for a point on the surface of the Moon. My DEM stores heights relative to a reference sphere approximately the size of the Moon.

Could I calculate a valid viewshed from this data by passing in a -cc of roughly 3.6 (Earth diameter / Moon diameter)? Some comments in the algorithm's source code make this seem reasonable, but I would like to confirm that this is the only correction I would need to make.

Thank you,
Kevin Bradner