[gdal-dev] Advanced 3.6.1 release and retraction of 3.6.0 ?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Dec 21 03:52:53 PST 2022

Hi,

playing lately with more complex scenarios with ogr2ogr, that time
involving both a lot of features and multiple layers being converted at
once to GeoPackage, I've seen error messages being emitted during
conversions and some slowness due to SQLite3 self-locking itself for
periods of a few seconds. This is still due to the multithreaded RTree
implementation. I didn't notice data corruption though, but I won't
swear it couldn't happen.

My conclusion was that is isn't safe to enable it when multiple layers
are created in a GeoPackage file. I've thus disabled it in such
scenarios per https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/6959. So in the
meantime setting the OGR_GPKG_ALLOW_THREADED_RTREE environment
variable/configuration option to NO is still a recommended workaround
(if you write multiple layers in the same GeoPackage file). I'll
probably issue a 3.6.2 release at the beginning of next year when
everyone is back from their break.

Even