[gdal-dev] Any way to get an autocompletion for ogr/gdal utilities?

Fri Feb 4 11:01:52 PST 2022

Hi Markus,

Thanks for your answer. I'm on Linux box rather old e.g Ubuntu 18.04. My
shell is bash.
I do not find any files for autocompletion within
/usr/share/bash-completion/ related to ogr2ogr or any other GDAL binaries
or elsewhere.
I've also tried to see the behaviour using gdal within conda and no
autocompletion available too.
I've tried to test autocompletion within a zsh shell in case the issue
could have been related to zsh "smartness" but no change.

So, what I've done after this various unsuccessful tests is looking at
packages version of Ubuntu and I have found the issue.

Conclusion: I'm on an Ubuntu box too old

No GDAL autocompletion on below versions

- Bionic (18.04 LTS)
https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/amd64/gdal-bin/filelist
- Focal (20.04 LTS)
https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/amd64/gdal-bin/filelist

GDAL Autocompletion available on

- Hirsute (21.04)
https://packages.ubuntu.com/hirsute/amd64/gdal-bin/filelist
- Impish (21.10) https://packages.ubuntu.com/impish/amd64/gdal-bin/filelist
- Jammy (22.04 upcoming LTS)
https://packages.ubuntu.com/jammy/amd64/gdal-bin/filelist

The remaining issue would be about not getting autocompletion with conda
although I tried with the latest version 3.4.1. I think I will open an
issue at https://github.com/conda-forge/gdal-feedstock/

Regards

Thomas Gratier