[gdal-dev] does GDAL require proj at 7?

Robert Coup robert.coup at koordinates.com
Thu Feb 10 06:26:48 PST 2022

Hi,

On Wed, 9 Feb 2022 at 16:30, Gerald Nelson <nelson.gerald.c at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The homebrew folks just blew me off. Said it was not their problem. So I
> more or less politely responded that it would be helpful if they could
> provide me with contact info for the entity that was responsible for the
> formula. This seems like a minimal information request.

Seems it was changed to depend on proj at 7 (from proj) in May 2021:
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/commit/2bc75f848e33cfbc39b17ad4f60bb1ab6274dd65

That was just before the proj formula updated from 7.2.1 to 8.0.1:
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/commits/488f635d6b77620abed9278e2c9031676c4b9b42/Formula/proj.rb

At that point the gdal formula was using 3.3.0. I don't know off the top of
my head whether 3.3.0 was compatible with Proj 8.0.1 or not.

I don't think there's any malice involved, maybe just being conservative by
the packager, or working around a test failure.

Updating the GDAL Homebrew formula back to depending on proj (or proj at 8)
instead of proj at 7 is a case of making a PR/issue to propose reverting the
changes from 2bc75f84.

Rob :)