[gdal-dev] Bug in OGR library

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Jan 10 02:42:29 PST 2022

Marta,

What is the bug exactly ?

"2 billion records" : by record, you mean cells, like a sheet with 2048
columns and 1048576 rows ? By quickly looking at the code I can't see an
obvious limitation, but that doesn't mean anything. Closer investigation
would be needed. Please file an issue at
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues/new with exact details how to
reproduce (number of rows/features, and columns/fields in particular).

But even if the writer side would work, the OGR reader side would
probably have issues as the whole spreadsheet will be loaded into RAM
and for 2 billion cells, I would expect at least 32 or more GB of RAM to
be needed. Perhaps spreadsheet software are able to cope with that in a
smarter way.

Even