[gdal-dev] Shortening schedule for CMake adoption ?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Jan 17 05:37:38 PST 2022

Hi,

The new CMake build system
(https://gdal.org/development/rfc/rfc84_cmake.html) has made excellent
progress, and I believe that it should be in a production ready state on
time for GDAL 3.5.0 (~ May). It is already very close to it according to
a checklist I had created
(https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SsUXiZxKim6jhLjlJFCRs1zwMvNpbJbBMB6yl0ms01c).
Consequently we could shorten the rather conservative schedule presented
in RFC 84 to :

- Formally deprecate GNUmakefile and NMake base file systems. Users and
packagers are encouraged to switch to CMake and actively report (and
help fixing) issues the find in the process.

==> Target: GDAL 3.5 / May 2022. GDAL 3.5.x point releases will be used
to address reported issues.

- Completely remove GNUmakefile and NMake base file systems, and make
CMake the only build system in GDAL source tree.

==> Target: GDAL 3.6 / November 2022

I can't see real advantages in keeping the 3 build systems longer than
strictly needed:

- it requires more maintenance effort and makes new contributions more
complicated

- we won't probably get significant feedback regarding the CMake build
system until people have to adopt it because they have no other alternative.

We already greatly welcome feedback from people trying with master. To
facilitate this, I believe we could cut a GDAL 3.5 alpha in early March
so that people who wait for "official" packages have a chance to give it
a try too.

Thoughts ?

Even