[gdal-dev] Call for discussion on RFC 85: Policy regarding substantial code additions

Kemeter, Mathias mathias.kemeter at sap.com
Tue Jan 18 04:55:48 PST 2022

Hi Even, hi everyone,

As we (SAP) are probably one of the triggers for formalizing this policy, let me take a first stab from the perspective of a new contributor trying to make a substantial contribution:

  *   Having such a policy greatly increases transparency on what has to be done to make a driver contribution. The outlined criteria reduces the need for lengthy discussions.

  *   I do specifically like the idea of having a list of responsible contacts. It makes it easier to track personas – even if people change. Still, the list could be outdated at some point. Maybe a regular check-in (via email, virtual meeting, etc.) would be beneficial.

  *   To me, the term “significant code addition” should be defined more precisely. Not only in terms of quantity, but also complexity. New drivers typically have a significant footprint in terms of code quantity, but they are isolated. Whereas there may be other contributions with less code, but spanning several software components.

  *   At least for corporate contributors, the bullet point of participating in the day-to-day activities is too vague to be seriously accomplishable. While I do well understand, what the goal of the statement is, I still think, the responsibilities have to be defined (and quantified) more clearly as the current description may be interpreted as a bottomless pit for development resources.

Best regards,
Mathias

Mathias Kemeter
Head of Multi-model Engines, SAP HANA Database & Analytics

SAP SE Dietmar-Hopp-Allee 16, 69190 Walldorf, Germany
T +49 6227 7-64316, M +49 151 62345760, E mathias.kemeter at sap.com
Mandatory Disclosure Statement:
http://www.sap.com/company/legal/impressum.epx

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed, or otherwise confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying, or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal.
Thank you for your cooperation