[gdal-dev] Faster alternative to GetFeatureCount?

Sean Gillies sean.gillies at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 07:44:26 PST 2022

Hi Jon,

The performance of GetFeatureCount, filters, and GetNextFeature depends a
lot on the data format. If your data is in Postgres, for example, these
operations are super fast because the database keeps the number of rows
(features) in memory and has highly optimized views of selected rows. If
your data is in a CSV file, GDAL has to read every line to count the number
of features and when getting filtered features has to read all the lines in
between the ones you want. See
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/master/ogr/ogrsf_frmts/csv/ogrcsvlayer.cpp#L1667
.

Can you switch to a more optimized format?

--
Sean Gillies