[gdal-dev] Motion: adopt RFC 85: Policy regarding substantial code additions

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Fri Jan 21 11:26:23 PST 2022

> On Jan 21, 2022, at 11:05 AM, Sean Gillies <sean.gillies at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> +1 from me.
>
> Howard, I really appreciate how you're reminding us that what proprietary vendors want is for GDAL to help distribute their software. Writing code that works is the easy part. Getting it onto computers and getting people to use it is the hard part.

+1

Yes, I think the distinction that matters most is not just that proprietary vendors are leveraging GDAL's distribution channel. It's that they attempt to explicitly or inadvertently externalize the costs of maintaining that distribution channel on the GDAL project itself. An open source developer who tosses something over the wall that a bunch of people including other developers find useful is doing something different than a vendor who is throwing their binary SDK-driven codebase up and over. This RFC provides a the latter expectations they will need to meet if they go forward. IMO, they are not so onerous either.

Howard