[gdal-dev] New behaviour of "PROMOTE_TO_MULTI" ?

Bo Victor Thomsen bo.victor.thomsen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 01:53:47 PDT 2022

I have a MapInfo .tab file containing polygons, both simple and
multipolygons (and only polygons).

Using this command: (all ogr2ogr commands are one-liners, but examples
are split for lucidity)

ogr2ogr
   --config PG_USE_COPY yes
   -progress
   -lco OVERWRITE=YES
   -dim XY
   -f "PostgreSQL" PG:"host=localhost port=5432 user=*** password=***
dbname=geodata"
   FREDSKOV.TAB

will (correctly) create a table in Postgres of PostGIS type "Geometry"

If I change the command to:

ogr2ogr
   --config PG_USE_COPY yes
   -progress
   -lco OVERWRITE=YES
   -dim XY
*  -nlt PROMOTE_TO_MULTI*
   -f "PostgreSQL" PG:"host=localhost port=5432 user=*** password=***
dbname=geodata"
   FREDSKOV.TAB

I would expect the table to change the PostGIS type to "MultiPolygon".
However it still is registered as "Geometry".

Checking the table using SQL command:

SELECT ST_geometrytype(wkb_geometry), count(*) FROM mat.fredskov group by 1

affirms, that all geometries now is of type "ST_MultiPolygon".

AFAIK, this is a new behaviour. Or what ?

Postgres/Postgis version : 13.2,  3.1

OGR2OGR version:  both 3.4 andf 3.6 dev.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards

Bo Victor Thomsen